Classical Ballet forms the basis of all genres of dance and helps to create a strong dancer.
The Judith Essex School of Dancing follows the IDTA ballet syllabus. Students begin establishing their technique in our 'Dancing tots' class. Here children dance with their parent and develop listening skills while outlining basic movements and helping to establish enjoyment from dance. Our preschool classes are where basic technique is developed in a fun, imaginative way and creates the foundation for progression through the graded system.
We strive to ensure ballet is for everyone, carefully developing strength and flexibility along with encouraging imagination through song with the younger pupils, use of props and free movement throughout.
Our adult classes are for everyone, whether you've danced as a child and wish to return or want to start from the beginning. We offer non syllabus classes which are a great way to exercise, using both mind and body in a fun, social way.
Alongside grade work, our pupils also undertake show work for our bi-annual performances and workshops with guest teachers.
Adult ballet classes
- Monday afternoon, Hazelwood Studio (beginners to general ability)
- Tuesday afternoon, Hazelwood Studio (general to advanced ability)
- Tuesday evening, Sundridge (general ability)
- Friday late lunchtime, Sundridge (intermediate to general ability)
Children's ballet classes
- Tuesday early evening, Sundridge (general to advanced ability for teenagers)
- Wednesday lunchtime, Oxted (pre-school children 3+ years)
- Friday mid morning, Sundridge (pre-school children 3+ years)
- Friday early afternoon, Sundridge (pre-school childen 3+ years)
- Saturday all day, Sundridge (grouped by age)
- Saturday all day, Hazelwood Studio (grouped by age)